Re: st: RE: Generating skewed distributions on closed intervals

From   Reza C Daniels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Generating skewed distributions on closed intervals
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:41:02 +0200

Hi again, again!

I've found a solution to the uniform distribution in the -egen var=seq() from() to()- command.

Is it not simpler just to try and transform this into the three appropriate normal and skewed distributions than to use the -betaden- set of commands? If so, how? If not, I revert to below.

Thanks again,
Reza

Reza C Daniels wrote:

Hi again,

I'm not sure I'm getting the intuition behind the code of the beta density functions -betaden- and -nbetaden-. My reading suggests using -betaden- for the symmetric ~ about 25, and -nbetaden- for the skewed ~s about 22.5 & 27.5.

However, when I plug in the numbers I get a single result. Clearly I'm doing something very wrong. Does this mean I need to calculate a & b & lambda (shape paramaters in betaden commands) first somehow?

Thanks,
Reza

Maarten Buis wrote:

you can have a look at the beta distribution
a normal distribution will never stay within an interval (except [minus infinity, plus infinity])