st: breaking strings

From   "Terra Curtis" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: breaking strings
Date   Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:08:11 -0400

Dear Statalist,

I am trying to find a string function (or equivalent series of code lines)
to accomplish the following.  I have a string variable which contains
various company names, eli lilly & co, for example.  I want to break this
string into 4 separate data points, namely eli, lilly, &, co.  The delimeter
is a space.  Anyone know how to do this?