st: File saving problems, Stata 8.2 for Windows, NetWare

From   "Neville Young" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: File saving problems, Stata 8.2 for Windows, NetWare
Date   Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:19:38 +0100

Dear List

I apologise if this is a na�ve/stupid/frequently asked question.

One of our users is having occasional problems saving from Stata v8.2 to a
network drive. I can get the same behaviour *sometimes*, but annoyingly I
cannot replicate it to the point where I can say "it will always happen if I
do this". Please bear with me if I describe what I�ve got so far, in the
hope that someone else knows about this issue.

Intercooled Stata v8.2 for Windows
Born 10th January 2005
Standard Dell PCs running Windows XP
Netware 5.1

What seems to be happening is this:

You save a file, several times in a row, same filename. It�s fine.
You then do "save as" and try to save it with a different filename. It then
*sometimes* claims that the new, different filename already exists, and
fails to save.

Here�s an example:

. save "H:\03 Computing\SOFTWARE\Stata\anothername.dta", replace
file H:\03 Computing\SOFTWARE\Stata\anothername.dta saved

. save "H:\03 Computing\SOFTWARE\Stata\anothername.dta", replace
file H:\03 Computing\SOFTWARE\Stata\anothername.dta saved

. save "H:\03 Computing\SOFTWARE\Stata\anothername2.dta"
file H:\03 Computing\SOFTWARE\Stata\anothername2.dta already exists
r(602);

- but in fact the file anothername2.dta did NOT exist. It worked next try,
with the same name.

Is this an issue which is familiar to anyone, please? I would be most
grateful for any advice. If I could only get to a point where I could
guarantee that it would happen, then I could start turning things on and off
, but at the moment it is very tricky. The network is usually reliable � we
are not getting reports of such problems with other applications.

The only other things I can add is that it doesn�t seem to do it on local
drives, nor does Stata for Unix seem to do it either. Also that it *may*
help trigger it if I use longer filenames, and choose a new filename which
is a close derivative of the old one. But this is just a feeling and I
cannot yet prove it � not without doing many more saves.

I have another report of something yet more horrible, but I am even less
sure of its rules so I am saving it for now. It�s unclear whether it�s
linked to this so I am sticking to one worry at a time.

All suggestions gratefully read.

Thanks

Neville Young

--