Re: st: stata.sty in \documentclass[10pt]{article}

From (Jeff Pitblado, StataCorp LP)
Subject   Re: st: stata.sty in \documentclass[10pt]{article}
Date   Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:01:06 -0500

Clive Nicholas <> asks about the LaTeX style
files used by the Stata Press, of which -stata.sty- is one:

> As somebody beginning to learn the limits of converting Stata output into
> LaTeX 'resultssets', I must say that I've not heard of this LaTeX package.
> I've checked my (fully updated) MiKTeX Package Manager, and the name
> 'stata' doesn't feature. Tapping 'stata' into the Keywords box generates
> nothing! Incidentally, I use LaTeXEditor, which, unlike WinEdt, doesn't (I
> don't think) have a feature which automatically interfaces with Stata (I
> stand to be corrected on that).
> I'm, of course, aware of packages that have been developed by Ben Jann,
> Roger Newson and the ATS folks at UCLA, but not this one. Would Jeff (or
> James) care to elaborate? Ta.

The Stata Press LaTeX documentclass and style/package files are not part of
any TeX distribution.

The Stata Press LaTeX files were originally developed for the Stata Journal.
An introduction to using these files is at

Unfortunately, this page is slightly out-of-date; but will be updated
soon.  The up-to-date introduction in plain text form is available at

This website discusses the -sjlatex- package that contains a Stata program
that will download the LaTeX files:

	. net from
	. net install sjlatex

If you do not want to use -sjlatex-, you can still get at the LaTeX files by

	. mkdir sjlatex
	. cd sjlatex
	. net from
	. net get sjlatex