Re: st: stata.sty in \documentclass[10pt]{article}

From   [email protected] (Jeff Pitblado, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: stata.sty in \documentclass[10pt]{article}
Date   Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:01:06 -0500

Clive Nicholas <[email protected]> asks about the LaTeX style
files used by the Stata Press, of which -stata.sty- is one:

> As somebody beginning to learn the limits of converting Stata output into
> LaTeX 'resultssets', I must say that I've not heard of this LaTeX package.
>
> I've checked my (fully updated) MiKTeX Package Manager, and the name
> 'stata' doesn't feature. Tapping 'stata' into the Keywords box generates
> nothing! Incidentally, I use LaTeXEditor, which, unlike WinEdt, doesn't (I
> don't think) have a feature which automatically interfaces with Stata (I
> stand to be corrected on that).
>
> I'm, of course, aware of packages that have been developed by Ben Jann,
> Roger Newson and the ATS folks at UCLA, but not this one. Would Jeff (or
> James) care to elaborate? Ta.

The Stata Press LaTeX documentclass and style/package files are not part of
any TeX distribution.

The Stata Press LaTeX files were originally developed for the Stata Journal.
An introduction to using these files is at

	http://www.stata-journal.com/author/

Unfortunately, this page is slightly out-of-date; but will be updated
soon.  The up-to-date introduction in plain text form is available at

	http://www.stata-journal.com/production/sjlatex/sjstart.txt

This website discusses the -sjlatex- package that contains a Stata program
that will download the LaTeX files:

	. net from http://www.stata-journal.com/production
	. net install sjlatex

If you do not want to use -sjlatex-, you can still get at the LaTeX files by
using

	. mkdir sjlatex
	. cd sjlatex
	. net from http://www.stata-journal.com/production