st: RE: historical maximum

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: historical maximum
Date   Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:19:55 +0100

Kit mentioned panel data. For the record,
-egen, record()-, which was written by Kit
and myself, pays no attention to whether
data have been -tsset-. The handle useful
for panel data is a standard -by()- option.

As it happens, I guess that this is a nuance
not important in most projects. The record
returned will be the _known_ maximum (or
minimum) whenever any observations have missing values
or there are gaps.

A key point about missing values is that in Stata

max(large known number, missing)

is always "large known number". This may
come as a surprise once you have learned
the hard way that in Stata numeric missing
is treated as higher than any non-missing
number. But usually it is a feature. What
do you want

max(0, 1, 2.71828, 3.14159, 42, .)

to return? 42 or . ?

Kit Baum