st: Re: bivariate probit problem with no (0,0) observations

From   Friedrich Huebler <>
Subject   st: Re: bivariate probit problem with no (0,0) observations
Date   Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:24:09 -0700 (PDT)

You have three possible outcomes: (1,1), (1,0) and (0,1). This means
that you can fit a multinomial logit model.

Friedrich Huebler

--- Pierre Lafaye de Micheaux <> wrote:
> Dear Stata gurus,
> Here is the experiment we are conducting:
> Laboratory rats are smelling some kind of odour and then we measure
> their neuronal activity. We then observe the presence/absence of
> gamma or beta waves.
> But you should always have some kind of wave (beta or gamma). The
> absence of the two waves means a failure in the experiment.
> So you only have (1,1), (1,0) and (0,1) data.
> And never (0,0) data. (But when the rat is dead, or the electrod
> badly placed, etc ...).
> We are interested in modeling the presence/absence of gamma or beta
> waves as a function of odour's characteristics.
> We then wanted to use a bivariate probit analysis (through biprobit
> for example) but the fact that there is no (0,0) observations
> (structural zero case) seems to be a problem.
> Do you know how we could handle this?
> Best regards,
> Pierre

Do You Yahoo!?