Re: st: Programming a version-number check

From   Richard Williams <Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Programming a version-number check
Date   Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:33:04 -0500

At 05:12 PM 9/25/2005, Mark Schaffer wrote:
What I have in mind is pretty straightforward in principle.  Many ados
have a few lines at the top that start with the characters "*!".  I would
want to grab the line that has "*!" followed by "version".  E.g., ivreg
has at the top

*! version 5.1.3  21jul2004
Ok, I thought you were referring to the Stata Version command. It seems like an additional complication is that authors aren't required to format their programs this way. Just as a matter of curiosity, how much would you need to do this? This strikes me as the sort of thing that might be easier to do by hand, or to maintain in some sort of database, depending on what exactly it is you need.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu