RE: st: Parse question

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Parse question
Date   Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:34:12 -0400

Well,
Both have advantages.
Imagine storing charcount as ado file.
Then, typing "charcount "`loc'" "a"" will
be shorter than the first solution.
But I guess in a do file setting, there is
more fun and clarty typing:
"local junk : subinstr local loc ";" "" , all count(local num)"
because you see what's going on.
I like both, for my part.
Anyway, you two guys are amazing.
Best regards.
Amadou.

                      Nick Winter
                      <[email protected]>               To:       [email protected]
                      Sent by:                         cc:
                      owner-statalist@hsphsun2.        Subject:  RE: st: Parse question
                      harvard.edu

                      09/22/2005 01:59 PM
                      Please respond to
                      statalist

That's ok...it was fun for me to come up with the more elegant
solution for once...

--Nick

At 12:59 PM 9/22/2005, you wrote:
>Nick W's is a better solution than mine. (I'm horrified
>that I forgot something I have used many times.)
>
>Nick
>[email protected]
>
>[email protected]
>
> > Thanks to both Nick Cox and Nick Winter.
> > The two solutions worked fine.
>
>*
>*   For searches and help try:
>*   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html

Nicholas J. G. Winter                     607.255.8819 t
Assistant Professor                       607.255.4530 f
Department of Government              [email protected] e
Cornell University        falcon.arts.cornell.edu/nw53 w
308 White Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853-4601