Re: st: missing values

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: missing values
Date   Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:31:41 -0500

At 11:11 PM 9/21/2005, NEYMOTIN, FLORENCE wrote:
Hi, is it normal to have a problem with recoding things to missing values based on some sort of boolean condition. I checked the condition several times, and when I write: "gen extra=0 if(condition)" then this gives me the correct values. If, however, I write: "replace mainvar=. if (condition)" then this does not work. The problem was solved by doing "replace mainvar=.a" this seems strange to me and I'm not sure why it's happening. any suggestions?
Maybe you could show us your exact commands? Or a replicable example using the auto data or something like that? I just tried a few things and it seemed to work fine. Are you sure you are specifying the conditions correctly, e.g. you are using == instead of = ?

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu