Re: st: Problem with seed and bootstrap

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: Problem with seed and bootstrap
Date   Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:27:05 -0500

At 05:52 PM 9/16/2005, feldman wrote:
Thank you very much Gary. -Sort- was creating the problem
and the option -stable- solved it.

It is interesting that setting the seed does not solve this sort of problem. I've always wondered how and why -sort- produces inconsistent results anyway. I would think a stable sort is easiest to do, but apparently not. I suspect it is a good idea to just pay the performance penalty and get in the habit of using the -stable- option routinely.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu