Re: st: Combined Horizontal Box Blots do not line up

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Combined Horizontal Box Blots do not line up
Date   Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:31:07 +0200

Thanks Vince, this answered my question thouroughly. I went for the
-reshape- solution, which is far as complicated as I thought.

To round this tread up, here is a template for the auto-data:

. gen cov1:cov = rep78
. gen cov2:cov = 6 + foreign
. label define cov 6 "Domestic" 7 "Foreign"
. reshape long cov, i(make) j(dim)
. graph box turn, over(cov) by(dim, cols(1)) nofill horizontal

Reshape rules!

Uli

Vince Wiggins, StataCorp wrote:
> Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]> asks why the option -xcommon- is not
> doing what he expects,
>
> > I try to combine horizontal box blots underneath each other by using
> > the -xcommon- option, but they do not line up.
> >
> > Here is an example for what I try to do:
> >
> > . sysuse auto, clear
> > . graph box turn, over(rep78) name(g1, replace) horizontal
> > . graph box turn, over(foreign) name(g2, replace) horizontal
> > . graph combine g1 g2, xcommon cols(1)
> >
> > . graph combine g1 g2, ycommon cols(1)
> >
> > which doesn't work [...]
>
> I ran Uli's example see that both graphs are already on a common X scale --
> they both run from 30 to 50 with 5 ticks on the axis.  -xcommon- would make
> these axes common for Uli, if they were indeed different in the original
> graphs.
>
> I think what Uli is asking is why aren't the plot regions forced to be the
> same length in the combined graphs.  (They are not in the original graphs
> because the labels on the y-axis are of vastly different lengths.)  That
> would be a laudable goal, but it is not what -xcommon- means and not what
> -graph combine- does.
>
> -graph combine- combines whole graphs.  It can squish the overall
> dimensions of the graphs so that they take up the entire size of the
> combined graph's dimensions, but it cannot reach into the two graphs and
> rip out pieces to create a Franken-graph (with apologies to Mary Shelley).
>
> It is not elegant, but Uli can get the plotregions to align by seeing to it
> that the original graphs have the same length plotregion.  Adding a left
> margin to the first graph, using something like -graphregion(margin(l=15))-
> will do the trick.  Uli will have to fidget with the size of the margin.
>
> Uli goes on to suggest,
>
> > I can imagine a solution with reshaping the data and applying the
> > -by()- option instead of the -graph combine- solution, but do you
> > know an easier one?
>
> And, that will work too.
>

> -- Vince
>    [email protected]