RE: st: Data types, collapse & egen

From   "Eric G. Wruck" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Data types, collapse & egen
Date   Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:24:06 -0400

Great instincts, Tim.  I was using outsheet but was also browsing the data within Stata beforehand & saw the problem there already.  I guess the display format is used both in browse and by outsheet.  As per your suggestion, I changed the display formats & now everything is copacetic.  I guess my new question is how do collapse & egen pick display formats (because I just went with what Stata gave me)?

Thanks,

Eric

>How are you figuring out the values in your collapsed dataset?
>
>It sounds like you are using -outsheet- to output the data (or are
>displaying it using -list-).  If so then the data is outputted using its
>display format.  If your display format is %X.0g then it could write to
>the text file something like:
>1.045e+09
>Rather than:
>1,045,855,825
>
>To stop this behavior you need to change the display format of your
>variable to something like %12.0g.
>
>-Tim

       Eric G. Wruck
       Econalytics