st: missing values when 0 is occupied

From   Jana Katharina Walter <>
Subject   st: missing values when 0 is occupied
Date   Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:17:36 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

for the reproduction of statistic analyses I have
created two variable from a question by deviding the
10point spectrum of answers as the authors suggested:
newvariable1 0-4 for oldvariable 5-1
newvariable2 0-4 for oldvariable 6-10.
The values 6-10 of the oldvariable I codes . as
missing values for newvarialbe1 and did the same with
1-5 for newvariable2.

For the OLS regression stata drops both new variables,
I suppose because they somehow exclude each other. But
what am I supposed to do with the values that are
needed for the other newvariable when 0 is already
defined otherwise by the authors?

Thanks a lot,
Jana Katharina Walter

Do You Yahoo!?