RE: st: Predicted probabilities after mlogit

From   "Little, Allan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Predicted probabilities after mlogit
Date   Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:52:46 +0100

1. Firstly I run my mlogit model...

mlogit euivar /*
> */a16_24 a25_34 a50_spa notbrnuk nonwht hiq_deg hiq_hed hiq_alev hiq_gce hiq_oth /*
> */married marsep yeskid buying private cncloth autumn winter spring coh04 if male==1 & NWdum==1, rrr

2. Then I can find the sample proportions

>tab euivar if e(sample)

     e, u, i          |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
-------------+-----------------------------------
  employment   |     19,260       80.66       80.66
unemployment  |      1,009        4.23       84.89
    inactive        |      3,608       15.11      100.00
-------------+-----------------------------------
       Total        |     23,877      100.00

3. I use the predict command as follows, and it suggest to me that the predicted probability is equivalent to the sample proportions (above) - e.g. a mean of 80.66 % is equivalent to the probability, 0.8066.

.predict p0 p1 p2 if e(sample)
(option pr assumed; predicted probabilities)

. su p0 p1 p2
 Variable        Obs    Mean
 p0                23877 .806634
 p1                23877 .0422582
 p2               23877 .1511078

4. However, using the prvalue command, the 'predicted probability' of employment is calculated to be higher (0.8764). I dont understand why.

.prvalue
mlogit: Predictions for euivar
Predicted probabilities for each category:
Pr(y=unemployx):   0.0295
Pr(y=inactivex):   0.0942
Pr(y=employmex):   0.8764

5. Similarly, it is possible to obtain the predicted probability using the following command, which gives the
'predicted probability' of employment=0.8764. Again, is this value different to both the sample proportion and the value given by the 'predict' command.

.mfx compute, predict(pr outcome(0)) nose

Marginal effects after mlogit
y = Pr(euivar==0) (predict, pr outcome(0))
 =  .87637938