Re: st: Sceenshop of Stata 9 menus

From   Seb Buechte <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Sceenshop of Stata 9 menus
Date   Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:06:16 +0200

Wolfgang,

to just capture the _active_ application you should press
ctrl-alt-print screen simultaneously. On German keyboards ctrl
(control) is strg (Steuerung).

To get acceptable screenshots a few things need to be considered. A
screenshot can never have a higher resolution than your actual
desktops setting has, e.g. on a 17" monitor which is typically used
with a res 1024 x 768 px a full screen shot will have the size of 1024
x 768 px. If you printed this screen shot on a printer with 300 dpi
(dots per inch) the screen shot will have the print size of approx
3.41" x 2.56". So you should increase your desktop resolution to the
max possible (forget about vertical/horizontal refresh rates, these
will be as low as 60hz horizontally), than take the desired screen
shot, and place it in your document via pasting it. The one problem
is, that when the application your using has absolute sizes for the
menus given by the programmers in pixels all this will not help. A
300x600 px menu will just appear relatively smaller on a higher
desktop res.

Hope this helps,
sebastian

On 9/1/05, Wolfgang Langer <[email protected]> wrote:
> How can I make high-quality screenshots of the Stata-menu? I am writing
> a textbook about nonlinear probability models and needs this for
> introducing how Stata works.
> With Alt - Printscreen I do not get the actual application window.
>
> Thanks
>
> Wolfgang
>
> --
> Dr. Wolfgang Langer
> Martin-Luther-Universit�t Halle-Wittenberg
> Institut f�r Soziologie
> Emil-Abderhalden-Str. 7
> 06099 Halle (Saale)
>
> Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg
> Institute of Sociology
> Emil-Abderhalden-Str. 7
> D06099 Halle (Saale)
>
> E-mail:         [email protected]
> Homepage:       www.soziologie.uni-halle.de/langer/
>
> Institute:
>
> Tel.: ++49/ (0)345 5524248
> Fax.: ++49/ (0)345 5527149
>
> Privat:
>
> Tel.: ++49/ (0)345 2021819
>
> "It's better to have an approximate solution to the right problem
>  than to have an exact solution to the wrong one." (John Tukey 1988)
>
> or for insiders
>
> "Statistics can't work magic." (Howard Winer 1989)
>
> or for optimists
>
> "Murphy's Laws for Researchers:
>
> (1) If you think of something new, it's been done. (2) If you think
> something is important, no one else will. (3) If you throw it away, someone
> else will publish it, obtain a grant, write a book, and get on the Oprah
> Winfrey show." (Joop Hox 2000)

- Seb F Buechte
-
- Stay tuned!