st: Estimating glm w/log and gaussian, was RE: transforming predictionsfrom loglinear models

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Estimating glm w/log and gaussian, was RE: transforming predictionsfrom loglinear models
Date   Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:08:14 -0700 (PDT)

I have tried to use the glm w/ log link to estimate a model of earnings.
I am using stata8.2.  I get an r(198) "invalid 'glm'" error.  My code
follows:

> glm adj04p1
>   bm wm bf wf yrsed age age2,
>   link(log) family(gaussian)
>   noconstant cluster(statefip) ;
invalid 'glm'
r(198);

Although I believe binomial is the canonical family for log link, I
thought one could specify other families, including gaussian, instead.
(FYI Age was centered and then age-squared was calculated, so those
variables are not collinear).  But, it does not seem to work.  As far as I
can tell, my variables are fine, they work in other models without a
problem (e.g., regress, estimated just before the glm).

Assistance appreciated.
Thanks.
Sam