Re: st: duration of STATA job

From   austin nichols <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: duration of STATA job
Date   Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:01:31 -0400

I am guessing that your do-file has caused the process to hang.  If
you need to generate 40,000 dummy variables you will need about 2GB of
RAM and maybe 5 or 6 minutes, I think.  Perhaps the server is under
load from other processes run by other users, but not 18 hours' worth.
 How much other stuff is on your data?  Try an experiment like

set virtual off
set mem 3000m
use yourfile
g id=_n
qui compress
sort id
save yourfile2
keep id dummy1- dummy200 indicator1-indicator200
foreach d of varlist dummy1-dummy200 {
 foreach i of varlist indicator1-indicator200
  g byte d`d'x`i'=`d'*`i'
 }
}
sort id