Re: st: insheet, European format, comma

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: insheet, European format, comma
Date   Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:44:34 +0200

Nick Cox wrote:
> 1. If the -comma- option is intended as a special option for
> numbers in which the comma indicates the decimal
> place, shouldn't the replacement take place at
> most once? That is, any string with 2 or more
> commas cannot be a valid number and should trigger
> an error message.

I would opt for having such an error message.

> 2. Do other marks ever appear, e.g. stops (periods)?

Yes. In Germany we make either blanks or periods every third digit. What is
written as 1,000,000.01 may be written as 1 000 000,01 or 1.000.000,01 in
Germany. We can, however, use -destring-'s  -ignore()- option for that.

A quick survey in our research unit has shown that people in Poland sometimes
use blanks but neither periods, nor komma.

Uli

+49 (030) 25491-361