st: Data manipulation with Mata (was: [Mata] passing a function to mata (new question))

From   "Jann Ben" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Data manipulation with Mata (was: [Mata] passing a function to mata (new question))
Date   Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:12:00 +0200

Stata has very powerful data manipulation functionality
and I think it does not make much sense to mimic Stata
commands such as, e.g., -generate- in Mata, because Mata
will almost sure be slower. My recomondation is to use Mata
only for data manipulation tasks that are hard to implement
in terms of standard Stata commands or that are really slow
in Stata. For example, manipulation tasks that involve
temporarily reshaping the data, can be done more efficiently
in Mata. For an example see the code of -supclust-
(available form SSC). Type

 . ssc install supclust
 . viewsource supclust.ado

Maybe StataCorp has a different opinion on this.

ben