st: RE: Percent distribution using the pweight

From   "Jann Ben" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Percent distribution using the pweight
Date   Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:56:55 +0200

Ying wrote:
> I want to create the percent distribution (both percent and
> frequency are
> needed).
> However, the tab command doesn't allow the pweight.

Use aweights. They provide the same results in this case as
would pweights, were they allowed. Using tabulate with aweights
is ok as long as you are only interested in the raw frequency
distribution. However, if you are interested interested in test
statistics or confidence intervalls or alike, you should think
about using, e.g., svytab (type -help svytab-).

On pweights, aweights and means, see
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/supweight.html

> BTW, is the fweight the inverse of the pweight?

No. fweights are frequency weights. They indicate how many
times a specific case (i.e. a specific combination of values)
occurs in your sample.

ben