st: Re: About Stata

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   Miguel Angel Alcantara <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: About Stata
Date   Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:25:38 -0400

Dear Miguel

Presumably you have some indicator in the data set that points to the year of the obserrvation. Just make sure that this variable increases by one per year, and you can use it for tsset. That is, it could be 1,1,2,3,4 or it could be 1997,1998,1999,2000,2001.

You cannot estimate a VAR without a number of time series observations. A VAR involves lags. 1998 is not the lag of 2000. If the consecutive obs. in your sample are 1998 and 2000, define a new time variable that counts by integers for those years, e.g. 1998=-3, 2000=4 (4th period when you observe the HH). But VAR techniques with a total of 5 time series obs. are not really workable.

It is more efficient for you to direct such questions to Statalist. When I am on holiday I will not be reading Statalist, but someone who can help you will a.s. be available.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html