RE: st: RE: constraints insufficient for unique estimate

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: constraints insufficient for unique estimate
Date   Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:19:47 -0500

True, good point.  One dummy variable for each category would need to be
dropped if therapeutic conditions consist of more than 1 categorical
variable.

This problem is easy enough to replicate:

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. qui tab fore, gen(Df)

. const define 1 mpg = gear

. cnsreg price mpg gear Df*, con(1)
constraints insufficient for unique estimate
redundant or inconsistent constraints
r(412);

. cnsreg price mpg gear Df* , con(1) nocons

Constrained linear regression                  Number of obs =      74
<snip>

. qui tab rep, gen(Dr)

. cnsreg price mpg gear Df* Dr*, con(1) nocons
constraints insufficient for unique estimate
redundant or inconsistent constraints

. cnsreg price mpg gear Df* Dr1-Dr4, con(1) nocons

Constrained linear regression                Number of obs =      69
<snip>

Scott