Re: Re: st: Deleteing all observations for individuals with anomalousdata

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: Deleteing all observations for individuals with anomalousdata
Date   Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:46:06 +0100

Correct, and a warning to those who
might face this problem.

However, from Murray Lowe's reply to Antoine
Terracol (not included below) it may safely be
inferred that this is not the case here.

Nick Cox
[email protected]

>>> Seb Buechte

you are right, -sort- sorts missing _numeric_ values to the end.
Still, from what I observe in case of a string variable - sort - sorts
missings, i.e. empty strings, to the top, which certainly makes sence.
However, if "cost" was a string variable the command you have
presented will not work as wanted..

Nick Cox

> The -sort- sorts missing values to the end
> of each panel. So afterwards if any values in the panel
> are missing, then the last one will be too. That
> is necessary and sufficient information for a -drop-.
>
> The -drop- then drops all observations in the panel
> if (iff) the last one is missing.

Christian Holz

> > I think, however, that Nick's approach does not work, if a value for
> > year 5 is there and another year has a missing value, as
> > Nick's command
> > only checks the last observation of each ID group.
> > I might be wrong, but in case I am not, it's worth mentionning...

Nick Cox

>  > Another way of doing this, without any new
> > > variables:
> > >
> > > bysort ID (Cost) : drop if missing(Cost[_N])

Antoine Terracol

Murray Lowe