st: Random effects hierarchical models

From (Geoff Jones)
Subject   st: Random effects hierarchical models
Date   Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:13:07 +1200

How can I fit a random effects model with a nested (hierarchical) structure in Stata? I have measurements on children within households within PSUs, and want estimates (sorry, "predictions") of the random effects for households and PSUs. Quite a large data set (6000 children, several hundred PSUs).

I can do this in Splus (lme, random.effects) but need to be able to do it in Stata. Any suggestions.   Geoff