st: Generating a variable / Format problem?

From   "MA V" <>
Subject   st: Generating a variable / Format problem?
Date   Mon, 08 Aug 2005 04:42:08 +0000

Dear Stata users,
I have a variable called id with 10 digits. I used "format id %15.0f" in order to be able to see all the digits in Stata.
My question is the following:
When I do:
"gen temp=id
format temp %15.0f"
for some weird reason, the new variable "temp" comes out with numbers different from the variable "id". But I want these two variables to be exactly the same!
Do you know why this is happening and what is the solution for this problem?
Thanks for your help,

* For searches and help try: