RE: Re[2]: st: Heckman ordered probit

From   "laura serlenga" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: Re[2]: st: Heckman ordered probit
Date   Sun, 07 Aug 2005 22:20:44 +0200

Dear Ian,

thanks a lot again for your very helpful suggestions. I guess now the picture is completed in my mind and very clear.

thanks again
laura

From: Ian Watson <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re[2]: st: Heckman ordered probit
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 18:02:08 +1000

Dear Laura,

I'm more familiar with linear regression in the second stage, than
ordered probit. For OLS in the second stage you can calculate rho by
dividing lamdba (which is provided by the coefficient on your inverse
mills term) by sigma (the standard error of the residual, which Stata
can provide with: predict mysigma, stdr). When it comes to ordered
probit, I am not sure what the equivalent for sigma would be. Also,
the entries for both -heckman- and -heckprob- in the Stata manuals
note that Stata calculates atanh rho, rather than rho directly. Others
on the list will no doubt have an answer to this.

As for the standard errors, you might consider bootstrapping the whole
procedure.

Kind regards

Ian