Re: st: Attachments: A Big No

To   [email protected], <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Attachments: A Big No
Date   Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:53:34 -0500

At 07:40 PM 8/5/2005 +0100, Nick Cox wrote:
In two cases today, people sent attachments with their postings.

The Statalist FAQ is totally explicit, and I would have hoped
totally clear, on this matter:
I'll add that my campus antivirus software added a bunch of messages like this to those messages:

WARNING! POSSIBLE VIRUS FILE ATTACHMENT RENAMED FOR YOUR PROTECTION!

followed by a couple of paragraphs of further warning. Luckily I had no idea what the answer was to that question, so it wouldn't have mattered even if I had not realized it was a legitimate message. :)

If you happen to have control of your own web page - one thing I often do is "hide" files on the web. You can then give people links if you want them to see what you are talking about.

As noted, the FAQ says "Statalist software may trap these formatted messages
or attachments without sending an error message to you." Obviously the trap does not always work - is there a way to improve this?

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]