Re: st: prediction

Subject   Re: st: prediction
Date   Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:53:29 -0500

At 12:36 PM 8/5/2005 -0400, Raymond wrote:
I think we are talking about different things.
whant I want to do is predict the dependent values just using part of
the effects from
left hand side of the equation while not changing the values of the
effects estimated
from the "whole" model.
It sounds like the same thing to me. You have estimated a model that includes gender. You now want to pretend that the effects of gender were 0 while all the other effects were the same. I'm not sure why you would want to do that. As you've already noted, the other coefficients change when gender is dropped from the model. Why not just use the estimates from a model where gender is excluded?

But if you really really really want to do it anyway - I believe one simple way would be to recode the temporary gender dummy to zero, i.e. something like

xi: poisson death i.age i.period i.gender, exposure (population)
recode _Igender_1 (1 = 0)
predict yhat

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373