st: Renaming and logs

From   "Sinha, Ashish" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Renaming and logs
Date   Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:54:40 +0200

Dear all,

I have recently started using STATA and I am attempting to find a
solution to two problems I continue to have.

label define powerpoint 1 "Extremely   useful" 2 "Often   Useful" 3
"Somewhat   useful" 4 "Not very   useful" 5 "Not useful   at all" 6 "Not
applicable"
encode powerpointsli~s, gen(powerpoint) label(powerpoint)
recode powerpoint (1 2 3 = 2) (4 5 = 4), gen(powerpoint2)
label values powerpoint2 powerpoint
tab country powerpoint2, row

I am attempting to use my code to compile the results from a survey in
an excel file. The response to one of the series of question includes:
"Extremely useful" "Often Useful" "Somewhat useful" "Not very useful"
"not useful at all" and "Not applicable." The above code represents part
of the overall code.

My goal is to combine the results of Extremely useful, Often Useful, and
Somewhat useful  --- and of Not very useful and not useful at all.  I
managed to do that, but now I want to re-name powerpoint2 to display the
positive results as Useful   and the negative results as Not Useful.

How would I go about relabeling powerpoint2 ? Thank you!

My second question is something I am positive I could find in the manual
if my workplace had been as good to order the manuals.  I was creating
logs and I was wondering if there was any way to send the log to
specific directory instead of it just creating the log in the same
folder?

Thank you for your time!

Ashish Sinha