Re: st: generating random variables from logistic distribution

Subject   Re: st: generating random variables from logistic distribution
Date   Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:30:15 -0500

At 04:24 PM 8/4/2005 -0400, Kit Baum wrote:
Not clear to me either how so-called generalized logistic
distribution relates to the garden variety one defined here. In any
case here is a routine in the style of Hilbe that does the job, and a
test of whether it appears to meet the specs (which it does for
sufficiently large N):
Thanks! I had no idea how to use the generalized logistic routine that was already there. The formulas are simple enough, but they are also easy enough to forget. If I was going to tweak this a bit, I would make all the parameters optional, with the defaults being # observations = current # of observations, mean = 0 and b = 1; and I'd also let you specify the variable name rather than have it preset; but I'd probably do something like that for all the routines in the rnd package. It says version 3.1, so it looks like it has been around for a while!

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]