st: Multiple (about 100 to 150) repeated measurements in 68 allergic individuals: association with daily measured pollutants

From   "George Konstantinou" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Multiple (about 100 to 150) repeated measurements in 68 allergic individuals: association with daily measured pollutants
Date   Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:57:21 +0300

Dear Statalist,

I have a datasheet which are consisted of 68 individuals well diagnosed as allergic to three specific aeroallergens. For each individual there are 100 to 150 daily scores (repeated measurements) during a 6 month period of time. Each score (0=no symptoms to 5=severe symptoms, continuous variable) comes from a specific questionnaire each patient was supposed to fill in and corresponds to the severity of the symptoms (subjective: respiratory symptoms such as asthma symptoms, cough, wheeziness, catarrh etc, scored every day from the patient; objective: every day peak expiratory flow rate measurement). The measurements are NOT from the same day for all individuals. For all these 6 months I have recorded the aeroallergens' and pollutants' load in the atmosphere, the temperature and the humidity (continuous variables).

1) I would like to figure out if there is an association between the severity of the symptoms with all the continuous variables and

2) Also to do the same with the exacerbations of asthma symptoms (binary outcome: having an exacerbation or not having which is also defined from the aforementioned scores) with the same continuous variables.

3) The second thing has to do with the logical thought that perhaps the symptoms are getting more severe after some days of e.g. heavy loads of pollutants and not necessarily the same day. So how can I check if there is such a pattern?

Which you think is the appropriate statistical approach to deal with these data and how can I apply that approach to Stata?

My name is George Konstantinou and I am a second-year postgraduate student in biostatistics in the School of Medicine of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. This is the dissertation I have to write and present to get my Master's degree.

I would like to thank you all in advanced for your time and your help and I am looking forward for your advice!

Best regards,

George Konstantinou, MD
Sapfous Str, 70
Nea Lesvos