Re: st: Test for cross-sectional correlation with small T

From   "V. Sarafidis" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Test for cross-sectional correlation with small T
Date   03 Aug 2005 12:08:38 +0100

Dear Niklas,

Yes, it is possible but you need to construct the correlation matrix by yourself. One way to do this is to estimate your model, save the residuals as separate variables and then use "matcorr" to construct the correlation matrix (of course, there might be an easier way to do this). Then sum up the elements of this matrix and proceed as shown in the paper.

One important thing is that this test will not reject the null hypothesis of no cross-sectional dependence if the correlation coefficients sum up close to zero. In other words, even if you have large cross-sectional dependence but the (large) off-diagonal elements of the correlation matrix have the opposite sign, the test will not be able to reject the null.

An alternative is to use Frees' test (Journal of Econometrics, 1995). Contrary to the previous test, this one tends to over-reject the null.

Hope that helps.

Vasilis