st: headers in tabout

From   Ian Watson <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: headers in tabout
Date   Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:09:16 +1000

A user of -tabout- contacted me off list about headers in -tabout- not
working as he wished. Several direct email replies to him have all bounced,
so in the hope that he monitors statalist, here is the solution to his
problem.

All the optional headers in -tabout- require pipe (|) delimiters
between the column labels. The code sent to me was missing pipe
delimiters for header2. It is also worth keeping in mind that copying
and pasting the -tabout- output into Excel can sometimes lead to
problems with alignment. What always works correctly is opening the
output file directly in Excel and letting it parse the table as tab
delimited. There's a brief discussion of this in the tutorial for
-tabout- (www.acirrt.com/watson/tabout)).

Example of user's code now corrected:

tabout region using abspop1.txt, rep ///
c(sum person sum mig_numb sum migrant) ///
f(%9.0f %9.0f %9.0f) ///
header1(_|Summary Statistics for Population Variables) ///
header2(_|Total_Pop | Migrant_Pop | Migrant_HHds) ///
header3(_|(Number)|(Number)|(Number)) colwidth(13)

Note the added pipes (|) in header2.

--
Kind regards,
Ian