st: Re: RE: MATCHING METHODS

From   Manuel Ch�vez <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: MATCHING METHODS
Date   Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:19:18 -0500

Thank You Steve

Manuel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Stillman" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 10:03 PM
Subject: st: RE: MATCHING METHODS

> This paper is highly recommended and discusses choosing different matching
methods in detail.  Cheers, Steve

Implementation of Propensity Score Matching (www.iza.org)

> Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score
Matching
> by Marco Caliendo, Sabine Kopeinig
>
> Abstract:
> Propensity Score Matching (PSM) has become a popular approach to estimate
causal treatment effects. It is widely applied when evaluating labour market
policies, but empirical examples can be found in very diverse fields of
study. Once the researcher has decided to use PSM, he is confronted with a
lot of questions regarding its implementation. To begin with, a first
decision has to be made concerning the estimation of the propensity score.
Following that one has to decide which matching algorithm to choose and
determine the region of common support. Subsequently, the matching quality
has to be assessed and treatment effects and their standard errors have to
be estimated. Furthermore, questions like "what to do if there is
choice-based sampling?" or "when to measure effects?" can be important in
empirical studies. Finally, one might also want to test the sensitivity of
estimated treatment effects with respect to unobserved heterogeneity or
failure of the common support conditio
>  n. Each implementation step involves a lot of decisions and different
approaches can be thought of. The aim of this paper is to discuss these
implementation issues and give some guidance to researchers who want to use
PSM for evaluation purposes.