st: RE: Problems with nnmatch

From   "roy wada" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: Problems with nnmatch
Date   Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:09:25 -0400

When running a memory-hog like nnmatch, you must have a large amount of RAM
installed to prevent Stata from using the virtual memory, which is very slow
because the hard-drive is used as an extra memory. Specifying the memory
size does not help - it merely instructs the computer to augment the
existing RAM with the virtual memory.

For a problem of your size, you need at least 1 GB of RAM and it will take
several hours (512 MB will not handle the same problem even after 2 days).
The tradeoff between the speed and the RAM is nonlinear, because an entirely
different process is engaged once a certain threshhold is passed.

If you wish to know the threshhold, you can run it on a smaller sample.

Roy Wada