Re: vanelteren (was st: ologit - conditional?)

From   Ricardo Ovaldia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: vanelteren (was st: ologit - conditional?)
Date   Tue, 26 Jul 2005 05:58:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- Joseph Coveney <[email protected]> wrote:

> Use -vanelteren-
> instead.  The syntax for -vanelteren- is identical:
> -vanelteren embryo_grade,
> by(culture_medium) strata(dam)-.

Thanks Joseph. I am a bit concerned about using
-vanelteren- on these data. My understanding is that
this test performs a rank-sum test for each dam and
then constructs a weighted linear combination of these
Wilcoxon statistics. My problem is that the rank-sum
test assumes that you have two independent samples,
however in my case, the embryos allocated to the two
medias come from the same dam and thus are not
independent within strata (dam).

Is the test still valid?

Regards,
Ricardo.