RE: st: tobit marginal effects

From   "Mortal, Sandra C." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: tobit marginal effects
Date   Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:50:59 -0500

Dear Richard,
 Thank you for your help. I have decided to compute the simple marginal
effects using the mfx command.  I think that that will work for this
project.
 Sandra

Sandra Mortal
Assistant Professor of Finance
516 Cornell Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Office: (573) 884-1684
Fax:    (573) 884-6296

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Richard
Williams
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:32 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: tobit marginal effects

At 08:59 AM 7/21/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Richard,
>  Thank you for your fast response.  Unfortunately, I have tried
>downloading spostado, and prchange does not work for tobit.  I have
>asked the author of the routine, and he confirmed that it does not
>work,
>  Thanks again for your help,
>  Sandra

That is too bad!  Yes, a program has to be officially "blessed" before
-spost- will work with it.  (I have that same problem with my -gologit2-
program, which is why I include an option to make stored results
compatible with -gologit-, which is supported by -spost-).  -tobit-
probably could be supported, but obviously it is not a priority, at
least at this point.

Two other things you might try:

1.  Use Stata's own -adjust- command.

2.  I think the way many -spost- routines work is they generate fake
cases with the desired values, and then use the -predict- command to
come up with the predicted values for those cases.

I demonstrate these approaches on pp. 6-9 of

http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/stats2/Logistic-Stata.pdf

When it works, -prchange- is nice because it will compute various values
for you (e.g. the highest value of x, the lowest value), but you can
compute those things yourselves and then plug them in where appropriate.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX:    (574)288-4373
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]