Re: st: Categorical variable

From   "ALICE DOBSON" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Categorical variable
Date   Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:30:48 -0400

Thanks Ashwin and Richard. I am using panel data regressions [xtreg, fe] so can i just use the following command:

xtreg DV IV1 IV2 IV3 i.Level i(firm), fe

Best,
Alice

From: Ashwin Ananthakrishnan <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Categorical variable
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 05:57:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

The xi: command should help with this. You can have
the same variable coding all three firms i.e firms
(0=low, 1=medium, 2=high), and then use the xi command
where stata will automatically generate dummy
variables for each of the 3 levels. The variable with
the lowest value (i,e, coded as '0') will be used as
the reference variable.

Ashwin

--- Katarina Sikavica <[email protected]>

http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement