Re: st: RE: IV with incomplete data on endog var

From   Roger Harbord <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: IV with incomplete data on endog var
Date   Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:06:51 +0100

Many thanks, Dann and Scott. I had a quick look at the Angrist paper in JBES and it's clearly related but i'd need to work through all their algebra to work out exactly how my case differs, so Dann's idea of bootstrapping sounds attractive at the moment...

I'd be a little surprised if no-one's come across my situation before though - in some situations it seems to me that as long as you have enough info on the endogeneous variable to avoid problems of weak instruments then its the instrument-outcome association that mainly determines the power (particularly for dichotomous outcomes) and hence collecting data on the instrument and outcome only for most individuals becomes attractive (esp. if the endogenous variable is the most difficult/expensive to collect...) Of course need to be sure those with data on the endogenous variable are representative of those without.

Roger.