st: Error message when trying to save a file named "aux"

From   "Salvati, Jean" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Error message when trying to save a file named "aux"
Date   Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:50:34 -0400

Hello,

I tried saving my data in a file named aux.dta.

First, I tried using -save c:\data\aux.dta-, because aux.dta did not
exist. However, I received the following error message:

file c:\data\aux.dta already exists
r(602);

Then I tried using -save c:\data\aux.dta, replace-. I received the
following error message:

save c:\data\aux, replace
file c:\data\aux.dta cannot be modified or erased; in read-only
directory

However, my c:\data directory is not read-only, and it does not contain
any file named aux.dta.

This happens with Stata 9 as well as 8.2.

Is "aux" a reserved name? Or is this a known bug? I searched the FAQ but
didn't find any information about that.

Thank you.

Jean Salvati