st: RE: Detrending/Summarizing Panel Data

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Detrending/Summarizing Panel Data
Date   Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:29:05 -0500

With no claims to being the most efficient way, here is one method:

qui {
egen group = group(company product)
gen volatility = .
tsset group year
forv i = 1/`=r(imax)' {
	reg sales year if group == `i'
	predict res if e(sample), res
	replace volatility = res if group == `i'
	drop res
	}
}

It is not clear to me how you are constructing the weights, but this might
be what you are after:

bysort group: gen weight = sales[_N]
table company [aw =weight], c(mean vol)

Hope this helps,