Re: st: Reply for "stata9 vs stata8 memory issues"

From   Alan Neustadtl <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Reply for "stata9 vs stata8 memory issues"
Date   Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:48:35 -0400

I just upgraded from V8 Intercooled to V9 SE and was hoping to have
better control with datasets with a large number of variables.  But,
because I moved in two directions (V8->v9 and intercooled->SE) it is
hard to be specific about the nature of my problem.  My computer has
1g memory and the dataset is about 500m (if I can read it and comptess
it should end up around 250m).  I can't allocate enough memory to read
the original dataset.  After the hotfix I am unable to allocate as
much as before.  I use WinXP and set a restore point so I was able to
rollback the system.

My solution was to break the dataset into three smaller datasets,
compress each one, and then append them.

Regardless, after spending lots of $s to upgrade to SE and about 1.5
hours on the phone with MS, I was not thrilled.

Best,
Alan