Re: st: Averaging across variables

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Averaging across variables
Date   Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:42:34 -0400

I should add some warnings to what Ying wrote in reply to Kelly Johnson's inquiry.

The command
egen avginc = rmean(inc78 - inc80)

depends on having the desired variables ordered such that they are covered by the varlist
"inc78 - inc80". That is, it depends on the present order of the variables. (Stata will *not* try to infer that this includes inc79 based on the *form* of the varlist expression.) It is generally not a good idea to write code with such a dependence. It would be better to explicitly spell out the variables, or use star notation, such as rmean(inc*) -- if inc* covers exactly the variables you want.

I often put the varlist into a macro:
local incvars "inc78 inc79 inc80"
egen avginc = rmean(`incvars')

(You can also put a spelled-out version of a star-notation varlist into a macro using -unab-, and then manipulate the resulting macro with macrolist operation -- such as deleting specific variables.)

Finally, be sure to use rmean, and not mean.
-egen ... rmean()- takes a varlist and computes a row mean.
-egen ... mean()- takes an expression and computes a column mean.

Thus,
egen avginc = mean(inc78 - inc80)
looks almost the same as the rmean version, but is vastly different. It will take the difference inc78 - inc80 (the result of subtracting), and yield the column sum of that difference.

HTH
-- David