st: Help Creating a Count Variable

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Help Creating a Count Variable
Date   Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:48:44 -0000

Hi all, I have a coding question.  I have individual-level data (candidates)
nested in aggregate-level units (electoral districts).  I am attempting to
create a variable that indicates that number of different parties (not the
number of candidates, but the number of political parties present) present in
an electoral district.

For example in District A: I have five candidates from 3 different parties.

I need advice on how to generate this variable.  I have tried the egen var=
count() method after sorting on the district.  This does not work. Any advice.

Thanks Gina Branton