st: RE: Re: Re: replacing a scalar from mat

From   "Steve Stillman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Re: replacing a scalar from mat
Date   Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:18:18 +1200

Hi Rafa.  I ran into a similar problem just the other day.  I believe a solution is to use the following slightly awkward syntax.

mat A=e(b)
scalar s = A[1,colnumb(A,"x2")]

The colnumb function returns the column number of a matrix that has a label matching the name in quotes.

Cheers,
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of R.E. De Hoyos
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:30 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: Re: replacing a scalar from mat

Michael,

Thanks for your answer.

Your suggestion works fine. However I still face the row and column name
problem when I try to replace a the scalar (or 1x1 matrix) into another
vector. I should've explained myself better. The problem is the following.
Consider:

reg z1 x1 x2
mat A=e(b)

reg z2 x1 x2
mat B=e(b)

I want to know how much of the difference between z1 and z2 is explained by
the difference in parameter x2 (a similar exercise like the Oaxaca
decomposition). Therefore I get the parameter of x2 from mat A:

mat X2 = A["y1","x2"]

The second step is to replace this scalar (or 1x1 matrix) into mat B. To do
so, I have to let Stata know the name of the variable--column--in mat B that
has to be replaced with mat X2. My first though would be:

mat B["y1","x2"] = X2["y1","x2"]

However this syntax is not valid. The second thing I tried--following your
advice--was to create a scalar from X2:

scalar x2 = X2[1,1]

Again I tried to replace mat B with scalar x2:
mat B["y1","x2"] = x2

And it didn't work either. To replace an element of a matrix you have to use
numbers of rows and columns a not the names of them (mat B[1,2] = x2 works
fine). Perhaps there is a strong reason for that but I cannot see it. In any
case the problem was solved by assigning a number to each element of the
independent variables:

local indv x1 x2
local i=1
foreach k in `indv' {
    local `k' = `i'
    local i=`i'+1
}
mat X`x1' = A[1,`x1']
mat B[1,`x1'] = X`x1'

I still wonder why Stata does not accept rows and columns names?

Best regards,

Rafa