RE: st: RE: Help with confidence intervals generated with nlcom from survey data

From   "McKenna, Timothy" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Help with confidence intervals generated with nlcom from survey data
Date   Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:13:10 -0400

I am unsure why you think the CI can't contain zero.  If you get enough bootstrap samples where no success are observed (i.e. 2.5% in a 95% CI), then the bootstrap CI will contain zero.

The analytical solutions implemented by Stata are pretty good (wilson, jeffrey's etc), but when it comes to survey weighted data you need to simulate.

-Tim

________________________________

From: [email protected] on behalf of Jun Xu
Sent: Fri 7/8/2005 4:28 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: RE: Help with confidence intervals generated with nlcom from survey data

I am also puzzled by this problem (sometimes, for example ci derived from
delta method might be out of reasonable range; in this case, below zero).
However, the ci provided by bootstrap will always NOT contain zero (like in
this case and many other cases involving probabilities). Re probablility or
rates ratio, on one hand we should have them between 0 and 1. On the other
hand, the ci provided by bootstrap will never contain zero or one, which is,
I think, unreasonable too.

What about others' opinions?

Jun Xu
Ph.D. Candidate