Re: st: Help with confidence intervals generated with nlcom fromsurvey data

From   Arnold Kester <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Help with confidence intervals generated with nlcom fromsurvey data
Date   Fri, 08 Jul 2005 17:08:32 +0200

I can imagine that NLCOM stubles on this. A more "by hand" procedure would be based on the following rules, of which c) is approximate. You need the standard errors of the estimated rates.

a) log(rate1/rate2)= log(rate1)-log(rate2).

b) s.e.(log(rate1)-log(rate2))
= sqrt( s.e.(log(rate1)^2+s.e.(log(rate2)^2 )

c) s.e.(log(rate1)) = (1/rate1) * s.e.(rate1)

Apply rule c to get a standard error for log(rate), seperately for rate1 and rate2. Then rule b to get the s.e. of log(rate1/rate2). Then compute a confidence interval for log(rate1/rate2):

log(rate1/rate2) +- 1.96 * se

transform lower and upper bounds using exp.

Hope this helps,
Arnold Kester