st: RE: multiple IF commands

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: multiple IF commands
Date   Wed, 6 Jul 2005 19:26:47 +0100

A secondary issue here is that you may well
get bitten if you rely on a computer using
finite precision binary to do what you
think it should in adding 0.01.

This is a hoary perennial, documented at [U] 13.10
Precision and problems therein in the
Stata 9 documentation and in the corresponding
section in earlier editions of the manual.

The crunch here is that 0.01 looks innocuous but has
no _exact_ binary equivalent. The same goes for
most multiples of 0.01.

A tertiary issue is that there is no gain and
some efficiency loss here in using variables to
hold constants.

P.S. spelling is Stata.

William P. Kittredge, Ph.D.