Re: st: interpretation of exponentiated coefficients

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: interpretation of exponentiated coefficients
Date   Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:53:47 EDT

When I first wrote the cloglog command, which  was later ammended by the
folks at StataCorp and included in official Stata, I  had an option for
exponentiated coefficients -- eform. I believe that it is  appropriate to have such an
option. If you want to use cloglog with  exponentiated coefficients, then use
the glm commmand with the binomial family  and clog link. Actually, I use glm
for many (but not all) GLM type routines. The  AIC and BIC statistic is
displayed, one has a host of residuals, etc etc.

Joe Hilbe
====================

At 10:48 AM 7/1/2005 +0100,  Barbara A Willey wrote:
>I wonder if anyone may be able to  help/comment...
>
>Due to low prevalence of my outcome I used a  complementary log log
>transformation of my  data.
>
>Regression can still be carried out (cloglog command) but  this give
>coefficients not odds ratios.
>A display of odds ratios  and 95%CI can be obtained using the exponentiated
>coefficients (ereturn  display, eform ("OR")).
>
>However, I am not sure if this can be  interpreted in the same way as odds
>ratios, Stata help also described it  as a hazard ratio.
>
>Can anyone advise on how to interpret results  in this format?

I can't answer your specific question, but can only note  that there is a
history of questions like this and this isn't the first time  there has been
confusion over such matters.  There was a somewhat  related discussion a few
months ago; in particular see Roberto G.  Gutierrez's comment  at

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-04/msg00678.html

Different  Stata programs use different terms (odds ratio, relative risk
ratio, etc.)  for the same mathematical transformation (exponentiating the
coefficient).  This has to do with the proper interpretation of the
transformation (although, as Roberto points out, other software packages
just always call it "odds ratio" or generically "exp(b)").

In the  case of cloglog - I notice that it doesn't include an option, under
any  name, for exponentiating the coefficients.  In such cases, you wonder
if (a) it simply isn't appropriate, or (b) nobody got around to programming
it.

Richard Williams,  Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
OFFICE: (574)631-6668,  (574)631-6463
FAX:    (574)288-4373
HOME:    (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]