Re: st: xtabond problem

Subject   Re: st: xtabond problem
Date   Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:23:25 -0500

At 09:19 AM 7/1/2005 -0400, Rashmi Shankar wrote:
Hi, all: I use stata se and have set matsize to 1000. I'm running xtabond with
6832 rows of quarterly data. Stata just goes into a coma when I try or I get
an error message that says no room to add more observations.

Is this going to be impossible to do, or is this likely to be a technical
hitch?
Have you tried increasing the amount of memory used by Stata? Do you have lots of memory in your system? How big is your data file?

I have some enormous datasets (millions of cases, several dozen variables). When I've done the same analyses in both SPSS and Stata, I've found that either (a) Stata is far faster than SPSS, or (b) Stata doesn't run it at all because I don't have enough memory. SPSS is slow but sure. Increasing memory and/or paring the file size down helps.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]